June 29, 1626
MANILA, June 29 — On June 29, 1626, Juan Niño de Tabora, the Spanish general and colonial official, served as governor general of the Philippines until his death on July 22, 1632.
Notably, De Tabora brought the wooden statue of the Virgin Mary known as Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buen Viaje (Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage), now placed in Antipolo Church.
Nominated governor and captain general of the Philippines and president of the Royal Audiencia of Manila (a royal court of justice created in the Philippines to protect against the abuse of the officials), De Tabora left New Spain for the Philippines on March 25, 1626 aboard the galleon El Almirante, bringing with him a wooden statue, carved in New Spain, of the Virgin Mary.
During a three-month voyage beset by storms and one shipboard fire, this statue was thought to have protected the ship.
The statue also became the patron of the Manila-Acapulco galleons.
Besides the image of the Virgin of Antipolo, the governor general also brought funds and military personnel for an economically hard-pressed government.
Also on this same day in 1850, Antonio de Urbiztondo who established the Spanish-Filipino bank and leper hospital in Cebu, became governor-general of the Philippines.
Accordingly, Urbiztondo spearheaded the organization of the first bank in the Philippines, established in Manila on August 1,1851 originally called El Banco Espanol Filipino de Isabel 2, which was known first bank in Southeast Asia. (PNA)