≡ Menu

Chinese nuclear company to boost safety amid typhoon threats

HANGZHOU, Aug. 17 — The China National Nuclear Corporation has vowed improved safety measures for its nuclear plants in order to prevent potential damage from floods and typhoons.

Detailed measures included verifying design standards, strengthening dikes, building water-retaining walls and preparing more mobile generators as back-ups, company experts said Friday during an open house held at the Qinshan nuclear power plant.

The plant, located in east China's coastal Zhejiang province, went into operation in December 1991.

The company said floods and typhoons are the greatest danger for coastal nuclear plants, adding they will map out improved measures to cope with natural disasters in light of the Fukushima nuclear crisis in Japan last year.

"The nuclear power industry is safe, clean and environmentally friendly. Qinshan's power units have been operating steadily since they first went into service," said Qian Jinbiao, spokesman for Qinshan Nuclear Plant Co., Ltd. under the CNNC.

Qian said the plant has had no radioactive impact on its surroundings, citing long-term monitoring results.

Since August, several typhoons, including Saola, Damrey and Haikui, have hit China, leaving at least 51 people dead and 21 others missing, according to the Ministry of Civil Affairs.

On Friday, typhoon Kai-Tak hit several coastal regions in south China, canceling or delaying numerous flights in the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region. (PNA/Xinhua)

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment