≡ Menu

Nearly 200 firecracker-related injuries as New Year draws close — DOH

By Azer N. Parrocha

MANILA, Dec 29 — Firecracker-related injuries are on the rise with 198 cases recorded to date, the Department of Health (DOH) announced Sunday.

Of the 198 cases, 192 were due to actual firecracker injuries and of the 192 cases, 119 were caused by piccolo, an illegal scratch-banger type firecracker, Asst. Health Secretary, Dr. Eric Tayag said via Twitter.

Tayag further said that there remains only one casualty due to ingestion of the “pop-pop” type firecracker and five who sustained stray bullet injuries.

In the same period last year, the DOH recorded 179 firecracker-related injuries with 175 of them due to actual firecracker injuries, one from firecracker ingestion and three who sustained injuries due to stray bullets.

At present, more than 1, 800 hospitals all over the country are on Code White, which means hospital personnel must be ready for emergencies.

The Philippine National Police has implemented gun muzzle-taping for firearms in efforts to prevent further injury from the firing of stray bullets.

Tayag has also urged the PNP to crackdown on piccolo and other banned firecrackers following reports of various banned firecrackers being openly sold in some areas in Metro Manila. (PNA)

CTB/ANP

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment