By Ma. Cristina C. Arayata
MANILA, May 11 (PNA) — Grade 6 students have until Sept. 2 to file applications for the Philippine Science High School (PSHS) National Competitive Examination (NCE) slated on Oct. 22.
PSHS System is a service institute of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) mandated to offer free scholarships for secondary course with special emphasis on Science subjects. It also prepares students in pursuing Science careers.
NCE, or the scholastic aptitude test, was designed to measure Science ability, quantitative ability, abstract reasoning and verbal aptitude.
PSHS NCE applicants must:
* be a Filipino citizen with no pending or approved application as immigrant to any foreign country;
* be born on or after August 1,2002;
* have a final grade of 85 percent or higher in Science and Mathematics. If his/her grades in Science and Math are below 85, the student must provide evidence that he/she belongs to the upper 10 percent of the class;
* have at least a Satisfactory rating (or its equivalent) in the Character Rating in the SY 2015-2016 report card;
* have not taken the PSHS NCE previously;
* (preferably) be in good health and fit to undergo rigorous academic program.
Two copies of of the application form must be accomplished. Application forms are not for sale. Forms can be downloaded and photocopied.
Application forms are also available and may be filed at any of the following: PSHS campuses, DOST Regional offices, and Provincial Science and Technology Offices.
Note that application forms with incomplete information will not be processed. Also, erasures, alterations and insertions must be initialed by the applicant.
Other requirements are two recent 1X1 photos, Php 100 test fee for private schools (free for public schools), certified true copy of SY 2015-2016 report card by the class adviser or the principal.
PSHS said examination permits will be issued to the applicants upon completion of all documents by the campus where the application was processed.
For applications filed at DOST agencies, however, the exam permits will be mailed to the applicant, or to the school principal for distribution to the applicant/s.
If in case exam permits are not received two weeks before the examination day, applicants should check with the nearest PSHS campus, DOST Regional office, DOST Provincial Science and Technology office, or the PSHS System Admissions Office.
Successful PSHS scholars are entitled to free tuition fee, free loan of textbooks, monthly stipend, and uniform, transportation and living allowances for low income groups. (PNA)